Saturday, May 09, 2009

Being "Home" and allowing our souls to blossom!

On my 20th birthday in 1970 (almost a full 40 years ago) my father wrote an inscription in my first hardcover cookbook ["Great Dinners from Life"], given by my parents as a birthday gift:

"May you come to know all the ingredients of 'the good life', of which good eating is one of the more tangible aspects." (Anonymous)

Our lives have certainly exposed us to much of the good life. As we talk about things that matter to us all, and enjoy each other's company whenever possible, it's always interesting for me to learn just how much of our history is still very new to many of my colleagues.
But that's what makes these new conversations & sharing our histories all that much more fun, wouldn't you agree?


Our lives have been enriched not only by our time together, but also by our well-traveled lives apart. In my case, living in NYC certainly helped in raising my level of "sophistication", but there's nothing like traveling and seeing the world to figure out how it all fits together.

I am convinced that close and dear friendships are the glue that actually holds the world together, and provides the safety net for sharing our different experiences, and opinions, as we continue to figure out how it all fits!

Two of my closest & dearest friends (husband & wife) recently sold their NYC apartment, and are now living a nomadic lifestyle. During a recent visit, we were discussing their search for a new "Home" ... a very elusive quality to all of us, I think.

I learned in my wandering theatrical days that, "Home" to me is not really a place, it is people! After all, we can gather with those people -- beloved friends & family, trusted colleagues, classmates of our youth -- anywhere on the planet (a great city, a sailboat, a public park, etc.). Whenever we are in each other's company we are instantly "at home"!

Admittedly, a private space (or residence) is preferable, because it is more comfortable and conducive to letting our collective hair(s) down! Connection to a physical place (or home) strengthens our roots, I suppose, and that is what we long for.

Speaking of roots... "Let us be grateful to people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom." (Anonymous)

It will continue to be fun... trying to figure it out, and allowing our souls to blossom as we look for our true home!?! It's an adventure, so why stop now?

No comments: